Before any bodywork
The role of this charter is to help engender a sense of safety, and to clearly state my code of conduct in relation to my clients and myself in this work. Before your session I will:
- Explain in detail my work practice and what a typical session might entail
- Take a full and detailed personal history, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment possible
- You have the right to bring a chaperone with you to your sessions if you wish to support you
During your session
My role is to promote my clients’ well-being, and support their individual growth and personal empowerment. Your emotional, physical and spiritual well-being is of paramount importance. Therefore during your session I will:
- Respect your human rights and any differences in belief, culture, ethnicity and sexuality
- Treat you, and all clients, fairly and equally, with impartiality and compassion.
- Pro-actively avoid causing you any harm
- Respect your personal choices and right to be self-governing
- Get your clear verbal consent before undertaking any physical work
- At all times honour your personal boundaries
- Respect your right to change your mind at any given moment
- Accommodate your chaperone, who may be present in the room while you are in session, or in another room in the house if this makes you feel more relaxed and comfortable.
After your session
Whether you bring a chaperone or not, I encourage you to share their experience with at least one other person. If you are in therapy I encourage you to share the experience you have had with your therapist. Of course, all of this is optional for you.
On the other hand, standard therapeutic codes of confidentiality apply to me in my role. Therefore I will always:
- Respect your confidentiality
- Maintain integrity in our client-practitioner relationship
- Honour the trust placed in me by, you, the client
- Never divulge any aspect of your personal history, any details of your session, or discuss or write about any other aspect of our client / professional relationship, without your express consent (for example, if you agree to give a testimonial)
- If we meet socially, I will not publicly acknowledge that we have a client / practitioner relationship, unless I have your permission to do so.
My continuing professional development
I take my client’s physical, mental, emotional and spiritual safety very seriously. To help ensure the utmost professional integrity, I am in both personal therapy as required and professional supervision, the same as any other professional therapist. I further commit to:
- Supporting myself through continuing personal development
- Ensuring that I am in a fit state to practice – mentally, physically and emotionally
- Continuing to respect myself through self-knowledge and self-care
- Enhancing the quality of my service through continuing training and learning
- Supporting myself and the clients through adequate supervision and peer assessment
- Share my growing psycho-spiritual knowledge with others for the benefit of all